Lexapro is a SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) anti-depressant. The active ingredient, escitalopram, restores the natural balance of chemicals in the brain and produces a feeling of wellbeing and increased energy levels.
Packet of Lexapro 10 mg tablets for Canadian market
Lexapro is available in various dosages, you can buy generic Escitalopram 5 mg, 10 mg and 20 mg online. No prescription needed. All you need is to place an order for the required quantity on Canadian online pharmacy store.
How to take Lexapro
Use Lexapro as prescribed by a doctor. This drug is usually taken once a day, either in the morning or the evening. Your doctor may start you on a low dose which will gradually increase. Do not increase your dose unless your doctor instructs you to.
If you use the liquid form of Lexapro, each dose should be carefully poured into a measuring device (not a kitchen spoon) to ensure that the correct amount is taken.
Take your dose at the same time every day. This will ensure that your brain is getting a regular supply of the medication.
You must continue using Lexapro even if you are feeling a lot better. You must not suddenly stop using this medication without speaking to a doctor. When it is time to stop treatment, your doctor will gradually decrease your dosage to minimize withdrawal symptoms.
You may not feel any benefits of Lexapro for a couple of weeks after treatment has begun. You will only feel the maximum benefits after 4 weeks.
Warnings and precautions
While Lexapro effectively treats depression and helps to prevent any suicidal thoughts, research has shown that some people, especially those younger than 25, may get more depressed when using this medication. Be on the lookout for any change in behavior such as mood swings, irritability, aggressiveness, restlessness or impulsiveness. Contact a doctor if any of these are evident.
Do not take Lexapro if you are allergic to escitalopram or any other SSRI drug.
Tell your doctor if you have a family history of psychiatric disorders, or if you have liver problems, a bleeding problem, convulsions, serious kidney problems, or if you suffer with severe dehydration or hyponatremia (low sodium in your blood).
Lexapro may cause dizziness or drowsiness when treatment begins. Therefore be cautious if you drive or do any activity that requires concentration. Avoid the use of alcohol.
Lexapro can harm unborn babies. Pregnant women must not take this medication. If you become pregnant while using Lexapro, speak to your doctor immediately. This medication can affect breast milk so you will need to discuss this with a doctor if you are breastfeeding.
Side effects of Lexapro
When treatment begins you may have the following side effects: insomnia, dry mouth, nausea, weakness, lack of appetite, fatigue, dizziness, drowsiness, or excessive sweating. If these continue, tell your doctor.
If you have any of the following serious symptoms, tell your doctor immediately: mood swings, impulsiveness, tremors, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, stomach pain, dark or bloody stools, vomit that resembles ground coffee, unusual bleeding or bruising, cramps, convulsions, muscle weakness, fast or irregular heart rate, or increased or decreased urination.
In the unlikely event of an allergic reaction to Lexapro, get immediate medical help. The symptoms are hives, rash, shortness of breath, swelling, itching, and severe dizziness.
Lexapro may be associated with additional side effects that have not been highlighted in this guide. Report any unusual symptoms to your doctor.
Cipralex is an antidepressant drug that is used for the treatment of depression. This drug is classified under SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors).
The generic name of Cipralex is escitalopram.
Packet of Cipralex 20 mg tablets for Canadian market
Indications of Cipralex (escitalopram)
Cipralex (escitalopram) is used for:
- the treatment of anxiety in adults
- the treatment of major depressive disorders in adults
- the treatment of major depressive disorders in adolescents who are 12 years old or more
Cipralex is available in various dosages, you can buy generic Escitalopram 5 mg, 10 mg and 20 mg online. No prescription needed. All you need is to place an order for the required quantity on Canadian online pharmacy store.
How does Cipralex (escitalopram) work?
The mode of action of Cipralex (escitalopram) is still a subject of study. But, it is though that Cipralex (escitalopram) affects the communication between the nerve cells in the CNS (Central Nervous System) and also, it helps in restoring the balance of certain chemicals in the brain.
How to take Cipralex (escitalopram)?
Cipralex (escitalopram) should be taken as prescribed by the doctor. You must follow all the instructions given by the medical practitioner. You must not alter the dose or change the duration of the treatment. It must be taken exactly as prescribed by the doctor.
Take the medicine on the same time every day for best results. Do not quit the drug abruptly without the consent of your doctor.
Side effects of Cipralex (escitalopram)
The side- effects caused by Cipralex (escitalopram) ranges from mild to severe.
The severe side- effects caused by Cipralex (escitalopram) include:
- Severe allergic reaction: This is an emergency condition. You must seek medical help if you notice any symptom of an allergic reaction including hives or skin rashes, trouble breathing and swelling on face, lips, throat or tongue.
- Behavior or mood changes
- Panic attack
- Trouble in sleeping
- Feeling aggressive, hostile, agitated, irritable, impulsive, more depressed
- Feeling physically or mentally hyperactive
- Increased suicidal tendencies
- Having thoughts about hurting self
Other symptoms of Cipralex (escitalopram) are:
- Tunnel vision, blurred vision, seeing halo around light, swelling in the eyes or pain in the eyes
- Severe nervous system reactions manifesting as rigid muscles, high grade fever, sweating, uneven or rapid heartbeat, confusion, feeling like passing out, tremors
- Feeling extreme sadness or happiness, unusual risk- taking behaviour, racing thoughts
- Low sodium level in the body leading to symptoms like a headache, slurred speech, confusion, weakness, loss of coordination, vomiting, feeling unsteady
- High serotonin level causing hallucination, agitation, fever, overactive reflexes, rapid heart rate, nausea, vomiting, fainting, diarrhea, and loss of coordination
You must see your doctor if these symptoms persist or worsen with time.
The common side- effects of Cipralex (escitalopram) include:
- Feeling tired
- Changes in vision
- Mild nausea
- Upset stomach
- Weight changes
- Increased sweating
- Decreased libido
- Difficulty in having orgasm
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
You should take this drug in pregnancy only when it is very necessary. You must take it with the consent of your doctor and should discuss the potential side-effects with him. You must also tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to get pregnant during the course of the treatment.
Cipralex (escitalopram) is not known to cause adverse effects in the breastfed child.
- Full product description (.pdf)
- Using Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors in Children and Adolescents (.pdf)
- The Prescribing of SSRI Antidepressants to Women (.pdf)
What is Escitalopram?
Escitalopram is an oral medication which is used as a prescription drug for the cure of various mental disorders such as depression, an obsessive-compulsive disorder as well as generalized anxiety disorders. However, if you would like to buy the medication of escitalopram from a pharmaceutical store, you would have to ask for its brand name and not the generic name.
This escitalopram is the generic name of a medication which is branded under the name of Lexapro.
To be frank, escitalopram is the generic version of Lexapro and is comparatively priced at a lower section then the branded ones. Although the generic medications might work for you quite well, yet, it is advised that you should consult with your doctor before initiating the treatment procedure of escitalopram or Lexapro.
Apart from the usual capsule and tablet form, escitalopram is also available in the form of an oral solution which can be consumed very easy.
What is the crucial purpose of escitalopram or Lexapro?
Escitalopram or Lexapro is used as a prescription drug to treat and cure the symptoms of anxiety depression and similar other psychological disorders. However, it has been seen that escitalopram is commonly a combination drug, which implies that you will have to consume some other medications along with it to get the satisfactory results.
What is the working procedure of medication of escitalopram or Lexapro?
To be precise escitalopram or Lexapro belong to a family of medicines known as the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, which are commonly referred to as SSRIs.All the medicines which are categorized under a specified class have a similar method of functioning.
Our brain is constituted of millions and millions of neurons and is a hub of billions and trillions of chemical reactions which take place every moment. Due to these chemical reactions, a chemical known as serotonin gets secreted inside the brain cells. So, if under any unfortunate circumstances, this amount of serotonin gets reduced, we start to feel problems such as depression, anxiety, palpitations, and other mental disorders.
So, here comes the use of escitalopram or Lexapro. As soon as you consume a capsule or tablet of escitalopram, it goes into the nervous system and enhances the presence of serotonin in your brain cells. This increase in the amount of serotonin helps your brain to maintain the balance and prevents you from any kind of symptoms related to psychological disorders.
What are the side effects of Escitalopram?
Similar to most of the medications, if escitalopram is not used properly, it might lead to numerous side effects and reactions out of which sleepiness and tiredness are the most usual ones. However, it has been seen that Lexapro or escitalopram might cause other side effects also.
Following are some of the most common side effects which are caused due to escitalopram or Lexapro:
- Nauseatic sensations
- Sexual issues
- Excessive sweating
- Excessive shaking and tremors
- Lack of appetite
- Dryness in the mouth
- Numerous infections in the scalp, and
- Constipation and similar problems related to stool movements.
Following are some of the most common side effects which are noticed among adolescent Children and infants:
- Enhanced thirst and dryness in the mouth
- Exercise education and unusual increase in the movements of muscles
- Heavy bleeding from the nose
- Troubles and difficulties during urination
- Extremely high menstruation periods
- Inadequate development of muscle and weight
- Excessive weakness and drowsiness
- Sudden anxiousness and palpitations
Although, it has been seen that most of the effects mentioned above are quite mild and tend to fade away within a few days, yet, if these symptoms tend to stay for a longer time interval, it is very important that you should contact your doctor or physician at the earliest.
Serious Side Effects of Escitalopram
However, apart from the mild and common side effects of escitalopram, there have been instances that the side effects have become very dangerous and serious. So, if such a situation occurs, you should call your doctor and inform him about all the symptoms at the earliest, without failure.
Following are some of the more serious side effects which have been recorded as a result of escitalopram or Lexapro:
- The heavy tendency towards allergies, which may include:
- Problems during breathing and respiration
- Abnormal swelling of the tongue, eyes face and some inner parts of the mouth
- Excessive rashes, blisters, joint pains as well as itching.
- Excessive epileptic shocks and conversions
- Numerous suicidal tendencies and thoughts of harming oneself
- Overconsumption of antidepressant medications may also cause a phenomena known as serotonin syndrome in which the amount of serotonin increases in the brain to an abnormal level and results in various strange withdrawal symptoms such as irritation, palpitations, increased heartbeat, abnormal levels of blood pressure as well as hallucinations
- Extremely low level of sodium in your metabolism, which is imminent from the presence of headaches, lack of concentration, lapse in memory, extreme weakness as well as sudden seizures; and
- Lack of appetite and other manic episodes.
Can escitalopram or Lexapro interact violently with the ingredients of other medications?
It has been seen that escitalopram or Lexapro tends to react with other types of medications, herbal nutrients as well as vitamin supplements which you might be consuming along with escitalopram. This condition might become dangerous and also resist the drug to function properly.
Hence, it is very important that you let your psychologist know about every medication which you are consuming along with escitalopram or Lexapro. Be it herbal medications, vitamin supplements or even normal medications; you should inform every bit of your medical record to get the best possible benefits from escitalopram.
Following are some of the drugs which tend to react with escitalopram or Lexapro:
- Blood Thinners
Since, escitalopram tends to make your blood a little bit thin if you consume blood thinners along with escitalopram, the chances of bleeding from your body get increased.
- Migraine Medications
- Psychiatric Medications
- Medications used to control stomach ache.